WWWWWH: How to Use It For Project Management
Last update: 10 January 2023 at 04:07 pm
How to successfully manage projects with the WWWWWH method? The ability to ask the right questions and to provide clear answers is part of a project manager’s skill set.
It is necessary to know how to identify the pitfalls by favouring articulated questions and clear and explicit answers.
Fortunately, there is a solution for this: the WWWWWH method.
In this article, you will learn:
- How to use the WWWWWH method in a specific field of application?
- How to use the WWWWWH tool in your sales project management?
- How to start with the WWWWWH method?
- What are the steps to follow with the WWWWWH method ?
- How to define a project with the WWWWWH tool ?
- How to solve a problem with the WWWWWH tool ?
- How to animate a brainstorming session with this method ?
- How to set up a communication strategy with the tool?
In order to understand the context and before starting a project, it is necessary to define the objectives and determine the possible constraints. Only a detailed analysis allows you to approach the situation in the best condition
The WWWWWH tool is one of the most reliable methods for understanding a situation and solving problems with the right answers.
Why Is the WWWWWH Method Important in Project Management?
The 5 W’s method or questioning tool (Who, What, Where, When, Why) is based on 3 steps
- The fine analysis of the situation
- Examination of the main problem and the secondary problems
- Development of a relevant action plan
This analysis method allows the project manager to carry out the analysis of a situation and its difficulty by examining all aspects and angles.
The Fields of Application
Within the framework of the implementation of quality in project management, you can use the WWWWWH to define the process to follow.
The answers to the questions asked are essential for the drafting of a procedure. They also allow the preparation of an action plan and the development of a diagnosis.
Using the WWWWWH method also facilitates the deployment of a 5S, an essential management technique of the quality approach. The advantages of the tool go as far as the possibility of animating a brainstorming.
Based on the technique of questioning the characteristics of your project, the 5W method allows the observation and resolution of complex problems. It can also be used to create a mind map, a management plan, and a business plan.
The simplicity of use is one of the main advantages of the WWWWWH method, both in its adaptation and in its use. The sales project management team only needs to ask the 6 questions Who, What, When, Where, Why, and How?
It is also possible to add the question “How much?” to complete the analysis and better define the problem. The tool can lead to varied and constructive questioning, which allows you to capture the essential details about the sale or a specific area.
The benefits of the 5 W’s method go as far as the rapid analysis of a situation. It also allows you to develop the main foundations of an action plan. The answers to all the questions asked lead to a real reflection.
The WWWWWH method can also promote collaborative management within a team. It allows you to find the right solution to solve a problem.
Note that this technique can be used in various fields related to the implementation of a project, including the preparation of a meeting, the organization of a meeting, and the writing of a report.
However, the Who, What, When, Where, Why, and How questions have their limits, especially for novices. They may confuse the project manager if there are problems with the formulation.
The WWWWWH Method in Sales Project Management
Allowing data analysis, the 5W method (who, what, when, where, why) is the strength of sales project management. It meets all the expectations of a company manager wishing to carry out a commercial strategy.
A salesperson cannot do without this tool to identify the needs of his or her customers and define a convincing sales argument
Following the Who, What, When, Where, Why, and How questions, you can ask your prospects for their opinions to help you complete your sales project.
How to Start With the WWWWWH Method?
In sales project management, the nature of the exchanges influences the quality of the information obtained. Therefore, you need to have a well-defined plan of action in order to make the most of the WWWWWH method.
You must also ask yourself the right questions in order to capture the essential information to boost sales. The goal is to improve customer discovery and increase the sales rate.
Creating a Script
Creating a script is an essential step in getting started with the WWWWWH tool. It consists of making a list of questions to ask and listing the various answers, without omitting possible objections.
Thanks to this script, the project manager can get an idea of the sales strategy to adopt. It also allows them to identify the solutions that meet the needs of the targets.
The script must be completed with the sales pitch. This way, you can ensure that the characteristics of the proposed products and/or services really meet the customer’s needs.
A list of standard questions is far from sufficient to carry out a project. It is necessary to privilege the specific subjects to a precise objective.
The Who question can then take different aspects: With whom? For whom? With the answers to these questions, you define your collaborators, partners, and suppliers in the realization of the project as well as your targets.
The list drawn up must contain a maximum of questions, such as:
- Who are the suppliers?
- Who are the competitors?
- Who are the targets?
- To whom are the services/products offered?
- Who is in charge of the project management?
- Who makes the final decision?
- Who can be counted on to carry out the project?
- Who to contact?
- Who do we work with?
- Who is the main stakeholder?
- Who will take care of all the appropriate resources? (money, time, people, etc.).
- Who will document the business needs?
- Who will set the intermediate and final deadlines?
- Who will be responsible for testing the project deliverable?
The answers are sure to help you define the profile of each person involved in the development of a sales project.
You may already be familiar with the term target audience. If you are looking for some external help in determining who your target audience is, you may want to look into working with a community building agency in Australia or somewhere closer to you.
The What questions should help clarify the product and/or service while opening up specific answers about its nature.
- What will the project be achieved with?
- What obstacles may arise?
- What tools are needed to make the decision or to achieve it?
- What is your opinion on each proposed solution?
- On what basis do you make your choice?
- What are the benefits of the objectives if they are achieved?
- What are the consequences on the business?
- What are the possible disadvantages of the project?
- What does the new project depend on?
- What funding is available?
- What are the different success criteria that signal the success of the project?
- What training do we need to strengthen the capacity of certain people?
The answers must include the ideas, tools, equipment, documents, and training needed to carry out the project. They also mention its benefits and limitations on the company’s business.
In this part, the goal is to define the timeline of the project in a precise way.
- When should we start the project?
- When do we expect to finalize it?
- When should we expect the first result?
- When will the first production start?
- Since when have you been facing certain difficulties in the strategy used to carry out the project?
- When is the right time to make a decision?
- When does the contract expire?
- When does the deadline determined by the marketing department end?
The question When opens up to specific answers on the notions of timing, planning, duration, and frequency.
The question Where will bring more details about the places related to the project.
- Where will the product and/or service be implemented?
- Where will the distribution or sale take place?
- Where will the event be held (trade show for product launch or presentation, fair, exhibition, etc.)?
- Where do you want to display the products?
- Where can you find the information you need to make a decision?
- Where to get the tools and equipment needed to carry out the project?
- Where to start?
- Where should you focus to satisfy your customers?
The Why question determines the reason why the company is launching the project.
- Why choose such a project?
- Why is this issue likely to slow down the implementation?
- Why change employees or suppliers?
- Why do we need special training?
- Why do we need such a tool?
- Why choose this product?
The How question defines the aspects of the project and allows the development of the way it will be done.
- How to get the customers’ attention?
- How to solve the problem and address the solution?
- How to explain the difficulty encountered?
- How to make sure that prospects know about the services offered?
WWWWWH: How much?
The supplementary question ‘How much’ gives ideas of quantities and determines the budget needed to carry out a project.
- How many people will participate in the brainstorming phase?
- How much time will the project take?
- How many resources do you have to complete the project?
- How many times have you faced such a problem in the development of the project?
- How many parts do you need for this product?
- How many supplies are available?
The goal here is to determine the budget and resources needed to complete the project.
A good reflection upstream allows you to ask the right questions, whatever the sector of activity and the nature of the project. These preparations allow you to leave nothing to chance in the design phase.
Using the WWWWWH Tool Step by Step
The WWWWWH method can be used in various situations and can be adapted to all situations. It allows you to ask yourself the right questions in order to arrive at an appropriate solution to a specific problem.
Project managers use this tool to identify the main elements necessary to achieve the targeted objectives.
Define the Project
A well-founded organization is necessary before starting the project. Do not neglect any details. With the questioning method at your disposal, you can define everything about your project before it even starts.
With the “What” question, you should determine the nature of the project and the objectives. The “Who” determines the profile of the targets and users as well as the team members. By asking the “Where” questions, you can get an idea of the location. The “When” answers the completion date and duration of the project.
The “How” question refers to the material and human resources that are essential to the implementation of the project. It also helps to develop the means to be used to achieve the objectives. The “How much” determines the necessary budget and the timeframe for completion. The “Why” focuses on the reasons why you want to launch the project.
Solving a Problem
Asking the right questions is enough to understand the possible problems in the realization of a project, whatever the type. Briefly describe the problem with the “What” question.
By answering the “Who” question, you identify the stakeholders and the main responsible parties. The “Where” refers to the location of the problem.
The “When” refers to the characteristics of the problem, including timing and frequency. The “How” and “Why” determine the possible impacts and causes of the problem, respectively.
Conducting a Brainstorming Session
A well-prepared brainstorming is the key to increased productivity. It leads to a well-defined objective and timing. Without a well-founded framework, the meeting risks going off in all directions, which has a negative impact on productivity.
Using the questioning tool, the project manager can clarify the topic of the meeting and create a specific agenda.
The information should include priorities, duration, tasks for each participant, etc. With the purpose of the meeting in mind, you address the topic directly to avoid wasting time.
Establish a Communication Strategy
Communication is an important part of effective and successful project management collaboration. The WWWWWH method is used in marketing to define the various actions to be taken.
It is effective in allowing project managers to ask themselves the right questions. It also brings solutions to the problems encountered by the stakeholders.
The “What” question helps you, for example, to determine the nature of the problem. This question also allows you to describe the products and services to be offered.
The “Who” indicates your targets. By answering the “Where” questions, you identify all the information needed to develop the communication strategy.
The “When” defines the frequency and makes it easier for the project manager to plan. The “How” helps you identify the main communication tools, including the appropriate media: flyers, social networks, website, brochures, etc.
With the “Why”, you list the assets of the products and/or services.
WWWWWH, Why Use It to Manage Your Sales Projects?
The WWWWWH is an efficient and easy to use tool. It allows you to ask yourself the right questions, in order to identify the consumers’ expectations and to realize them.
The Where, When, How, Why, What, and Who questioning is also an essential method to develop a marketing strategy. It allows you to increase your company’s visibility and improve your brand image.
It can also be used to promote a new product and/or service and increase your sales force.
Usable in various fields, the WWWWWH method is used to structure the different steps of project management. It allows you to ask yourself the essential questions to successfully complete the different phases of a project.
The questioning tool accompanies you in the conception, planning, execution, closing, and assessment. Thus, you can identify the expectations of your targets and push them to buy.